Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sevilla, Spain



After a day or two of relaxing by the pool, we hopped in PeeWee and headed the 3 hours north to Sevilla. We crossed through beautiful countryside, waved hi to Ronda as we drove by, and then arrived in lovely hot Sevilla. And by hot, I mean around 90F, and for us Edinburgh-ites (still haven't figured that out...) that is very hot!

First we went to see the Sevilla Cathedral. Not only is this a World Heritage site, it's also the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world! And, let me tell you, it was MASSIVE!



The cathedral has 80 chapels inside of it. I'll just let that sink in for a minute. 80 chapels in this already massive church! And each chapel was very large and just as ornate as the main cathedral. It was quite the site.

Also, the cathedral is supposedly the burial site of Christopher Columbus. There are several places claiming that Christopher Columbus was buried in their church and since his remains were moved several times, there is a possibility that he is buried in multiple places. Either way, part of him was buried at this church, along with his son's remains. 

After exploring the never-ending cathedral, we started the hike up the attached Giralda Tower. 343 feet up gives you such a nice view of Sevilla!

This form was used when they were reinforcing the pillars in the cathedral. Look how wide it is!
This monk made me smile.




 After getting some delicious tapas for lunch, we headed to another World Heritage site - The Alcázar, a breath-taking medieval Islamic palace full of Spanish Christian and Moorish architecture. 

If you've ever been to Balboa Park in San Diego than you may have been to the Alcázar Gardens which were modeled after the massive gardens in Sevilla. Again, another sweet San Diego coincidence. My mom took the photo on the right a few weeks ago in San Diego and I took the one on the left last week in Spain.




Every inch of this palace was covered in beautiful handmade Spanish tiles and decorated so intricately. It was incredible! 





If you didn't catch our Sevilla video, here it is:



Pin It

8 comments:

  1. DUDE!!! Nicely done on the video!! I am TOTALLY impressed! :) Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were super fun and easy to make. I am going to write a little tutorial on it soon.

      Delete
  2. I'll say it again. Must go! Must go! Must go! This place looks amazing! That cathedral is incredible. Who dreams up 80 chapels? 80?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When I went to write this out I originally wrote "several dozen" then I went to look it up and found out it was 80 and I was floored! I mean, it felt like there were a lot but not THAT many!

      Delete
  3. How fun was this. Maybe some day I can go there. But, my video will never be as fun as yours. Loved the pix and video. Love and Gods blessings to you both. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely go there! It's so fun and a lot like San Diego, just a few more miles away!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Aww Melissa!! Hi! Hope you're doing well!

      Delete