Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Linky love

I'm on the internet. A lot. Whether it be for work or play or to talk to family/friends in the States or plan our awesome upcoming trips, either way, I'm always on the thing.

Also, I must admit, I have a horrible obsession to blogs!
Yes, the rumors are true. I read A LOT of blogs.
Obviously they don't all update every day so it doesn't really take up much of my time but it's a great chill out activity where I can wind down my day by seeing what other people in internet-land are up to. 

Anyway, here's a little linky love from around the internet of things I'm enjoying right now and wanted to share:
 --------------------

First and foremost I wanted to share with you the website that I have been working on for my dad's glasswork. His company is called Artistic Glassworks and specializes in fused and stained glass pieces like jewelry, soap dishes, and bowls. And, although I am in no way a professional in making websites, I do think that I did a pretty decent job at putting this one together!

Check out some of his awesome pieces:



 --------------------

Although I am have been a vegetarian for nearly 5 years, I was really intrigued by this post David Lebovitz put on his blog about a French market selling Lamb melons wrapped in bacon. That's really the best way to describe it. He described it as:

"These “Lamb Melons” reminded me of tufted cushions, made with what looked like slender strips of fat-marbled lamb. Some were topped with handfuls of grated cheese and other had what looked like a farce, or stuffing, crammed in there"

And then a week later he tried a Turkey one and had pretty good things to say about them. Still intrigued.... 

 --------------------

We went to a museum this weekend  and while we were there we saw a blind man with a woman walking along with him describing each painting to him. Wow. How amazingly beautiful and sweet and inspirational. Seriously loved it.


It also reminded me of this post I read on Joanna Goddard's blog about touch tours that are available in some museums where they invite blind or partially sighted people to come on private tours so they can touch and experience the artwork. Isn't that rad?!

 --------------------

A UC Berkeley astrophysicist is giving the Golden Gate Bridge an awesome 75th birthday present - mirrors!


The mirrors, thankfully coloured gold to match the bridge, will be adjustable by anyone with a computer or smart phone and will aim themselves towards the sun to make the bridge a sparkling masterpiece!

--------------------

About two months before our wedding last year, Christopher and I decided to surprise my sister and a friend with some tickets to an Old Globe show in San Diego's Balboa Park. Basically I saw an article in the paper about a show they were putting on called August: Osage County. I had never been to see a show at the Old Globe and the picture that followed the article was this incredible beauty of a set design. 



Yes, this is a three-story dollhouse-esque set. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. 
I was sold.

And after we saw the incredibly strong cast and intense story behind this 3-hour long play....I was speechless. Seriously, if this play happens to be going through your town, go see it!


--------------------

And last but not least, to make my nerdy husband happy I wanted to share this cool competition I found online. It's hosted by Etsy.com and says:

Etsy’s looking for a few great women developers! This summer’s session of Hacker School – a “three-month, full-time school in New York for becoming a better programmer” – will be hosted in our backyard at the Etsy HQ. In conjunction with the school, Etsy has announced that they will be offering ten Etsy Hacker Grants of $5,000 each – a total of $50,000 – to women who want to join.

The Hacker School is funded by startups and past Hacker schools have been hosted at Spotify, NYU and the Huffington Post. Forty students will be accepted and Marc Hedlund, Etsy’s VP of engineering wants at least half of them to be women. In fact, Hedlund said:

"Twenty is a small number, but it would roughly match the total number of female engineers I’ve hired in the past 17 years. Even a small change can have a large impact, given the severity of the issue.” 

Female hackers? Awesome!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment