Friday, March 23, 2012

Recipe: Stuffed Butternut Squash

 
Today I would like to share with you an incredibly delicious dish that I regularly make for dinner over here. It is Butternut Squash stuffed with Blue Cheese.
And before you go "Aww but Natalie, I hate Blue Cheese!" Wipe that snarl off your face and try it goshdangit. It's really super cala-freakin delicious! Pinky promise!

Overall it is quite easy and adaptable but it does take time. And by time I mean you can go watch an episode of Mad Men while the squash is roasting itself in the oven. Again, easy is the keyword here. This recipe should serve four.

Ingredients
1 large butternut squash (about 1.5kg) or 2 small ones
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
3-4 tbsp butter
A little olive oil
1/3 cup walnut halves, chopped
200g (about 1.5 cups) blue cheese crumbled
2 tsp chopped thyme leaves
Salt and black pepper and any other seasonings you may desire
1 tbsp honey

I should note, although I managed to jot down the ingredients here, it in no way means that I strictly follow it. I just toss in some walnuts and blue cheese, as much as I please. Throw in some seasonings (which I love and recommend Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute or Everyday Seasoning). Then throw it in the oven and call it a day. 

This lack of organization and following directions for a recipe drives Christopher crazy! But he doesn't complain at all when the delicious and genius concoction I made comes out of the oven and into his belly. 

Anyways, I digress. 

Start by preheating the oven to 190C/375F. Yes there is C for you weird Europeans. I seriously have to have a math degree whenever I try to follow a British recipe. How many grams, milliliters equal a cup, ounce? Bueller? Bueller?

After you've turned on Big Bertha and she is getting all hot and ready for you, clean the outside of the squash.

Cut it in half lengthways.


Then scoop out the seeds and all that other gunk.

 

I like to use a big metal spoon to this as you can kinda shave the edges to get all the fibers out since they can sometimes be quite difficult to remove.


Now that they are all clean, place in an ovenproof dish.


Chop up some of that sweet and beautiful garlic (my true love).


Then plop a bit of butter in each squash. Brush them both with oil and season away!


Now here's where Hulu or Netflix comes in - pop that baby in the oven for an hour. Depending on the size of your Butternut Squash you may need to cook it longer but basically do it until the flesh feels very tender to the tip of a knife and you feel like you could easily scoop it out with a spoon.

11

Scoop the flesh and buttery, garlicky juices into a bowl, leaving a 1cm-thick layer of flesh attached to the skin, so it holds its shape.
 12
 
13 
     

 Chop up the walnuts.
14
Roughly mash the flesh. Save a few bits of the walnut and cheese, and fold the rest into the mash, along with the thyme and more seasoning.

 
We've kind of become cheese snobs since we've lived here and Blue Cheese especially makes my tummy happy!

16

Spoon back into the squash halves, scatter on the leftover cheese and nuts.
Drizzle a teeny bit of honey on top.

 17

Then pop that baby in the over for another 15 minutes, until the cheese is all bubbly and delicious!

18

And then you're finished!


I put the fork next to the squash in this picture to show you how large ours was. Not all squash are created equal!

Enjoy!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Oh. MY. GOODNESS! This looks AMAZING....we are going to HAVE to have this on "Meatless Monday"!! Thanks for the recipe and pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete