Sunday, March 25, 2012

Recipe: Easy Peasy Homemade Granola

Today was what I like to call a beautiful sunny day wherein everyone and their mother ditches their responsibilities and runs outside to play in the warm summer March air. Yes, that's what I call it. This doesn't make complete sense, but I'm sticking to it. 

ANYWAYS! <--- If I yell at myself...on my own blog...perhaps something will happen? Most likely not. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
*insert real blog post here*

Today we are making easy peasy lemon-squeezie homemade granola. Except, please note, there are no lemons or peas (peasy-s?) in this recipe. You could always add your own but I'm really not sure how well that would go over, especially the peas part.

Before we begin I would like to note that I have a very special style of cooking. For some (i.e. my husband), my cooking style is quite frustrating as you may never be able to replicate the same recipe because I don't really follow directions well. I tend to just pour things into bowls and get down to the dirty work. 1 cup this, oh that must mean like a handful? Yeah sure! 
         

Well in that way this recipe is perfect for people like me! You can't really mess it up. Add or take out whatever you please and I promise, so long as you don't go watch an episode Mad Men during this recipe, it will turn out splendid!

Here's the lineup: 

Easy Homemade Granola
adapted from a recipe in “Baked: New Frontiers in Baking” by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito
DSCN7854
Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
Chopped mixed nuts


Preheat the oven to 325F/160C. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
*Note 1: we live in a tiny flat in the city and I never thought it a priority to own parchment paper. In fact, I don't even know where to buy any here! You Americans and all your dang options! So if you don't have the parchment paper, you'll live, pinky promise.

Chop up your mixed nuts so they are all ready for the granola.


In a large bowl, toss the oats with the cinnamon and salt.

DSCN7856

In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla until completely combined. 
*Note 2: Remember that tiny flat we have? Well it came furnished, which is good because I wouldn't know the first place to look for furniture here. Bad part is we only have 1 mixing bowl. Tragic, I know. So you see, there really is no point for me to fork over money (because I'm cheap) on a mixing bowl I'll only use for a year, fall in love with, and not be able to bring back with me. Because, yes, I grow attached to my dishes - sue me! Anyways, you too can use an Ikea tupperware bowl to mix your granola...Martha Stewart must hate me. 


DSCN7858
* a whisk might work better for this than a spoon.

Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands to combine them. Be sure that all of the oats are coated with the honey mixture. Got it? Good. Now lick all that delicious oaty honey goodness off your hands. Yes, I just gave you permission to do that. Hurry before your kids see!

DSCN7859

Now spread that delicious mixture out onto your prepared baking sheet. Make sure to spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for character. Yes, granola has character and can also give you character if you eat a lot of it. What am I even saying?

DSCN7860
DSCN7861

Pop that baby in the oven for 10 minutes, then take it out and use a spatula to lift and flip the granola over.

DSCN7866

Bake for another 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and lift and flip the granola again.

Now bake for a final 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and you are now the proud owner of homemade granola!
DSCN7867 

You can leave it in the oven for as long as you want to get your desired crispiness. I like mine crispy so it looks a little more toasted than yours might. 

Other fancy additions you could use in your granola: 
Cheeries
Raisins or Cranberries
Or even chocolate slivers if you are feeling real dangerous!

And you can eat it by itself or put it in things like yogurt, mix with cereal, feed it to your hamster, anything your heart desires!

Bon App├ętit!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. apparently I am no one then... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - you did come out and play at the park with us though before you had to go into the lab!

    ReplyDelete